Saturday 17 August 2013

There Was Never a Horse That Couldn't Be Rode. There Never Was a Cowboy That Couldn't Be Throwed. - Cowboy Saying

I love quotes. That's why, when I saw The Quotable Horse Lover on the library bookshelf, I knew I had to get it out. So I did. I have spent the last couple of days book marking my favourite ones. Yes, the title for this post is my very favourite. It makes me smile every time I read it. I thought I would share some of my favourite ones with you :) Feel free to add some more in the comment section! Enjoy :)


It's a lot like nuts and bolts - if the riders nuts, the horse bolts!
- Nicolas Evans, The Horse Whisperer

A perfect book on riding could be written only by a horse.
- Vladimir S. Littauer

There Was Never a Horse That Couldn't Be Rode. There Never Was a Cowboy That Couldn't Be Throwed. - Cowboy Saying

May your belly never grumble,
May your heart never ache,
May your horse never stumble,
May your cinch never break.
- Cowboy Blessing

The sunshine's golden gleam is thrown
On sorrel, chestnut, bay and roan;
The horses prance and paw and neigh,
Fillies and colts like kittens play,
And dance and toss their rippled manes
Shining and soft as silken skeins.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr., "How The Old Horse Won The Bet"

Riding is simple... It's just not easy.
- Anonymous

Don't fall off.
-Advice given by Hollie Hughes, and elderly trainer, to Secretariat's jokey Ron Turcotte before the 1973 Belmont Stakes.  (Secretariat went on to win by thirty-three lengths.)

I never play horseshoes 'cause Mother thought us not throw our clothes around.
-Mr Ed (The "talking horse" off the 1960 TV series)

The old mare watched the tractor work
A thing of rubber ans steal,
Ready to follow the slightest wish
Of the man who held the wheel.
She said to herself as it passed by,
You gave me an awful jolt
But there's still one thing you cannot do,
You cannot raise a colt.
- Anonymous

You can tell a gelding, you can ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion.
-Anonymous

One white foot-buy him,
Two white feet-try him;
Three white feet-look well about him,
Four white feet-go without him
- Old horse-buying prejudice

Dog lovers hate to clean out kennels. Horse lovers like cleaning stables.
- Monica Dickens, Talking of Horses

Nothing on four legs is quicker than a horse heading back to the barn.
Pamela C. Biddle and Joel E. Fishman, All I Need To Know I Learned From My Horse

Every horse thinks his pack is the heaviest.
-Anonymous

A horse already knows how to be a horse; the rider has to learn how to become a rider. A horse without a rider is still a horse; a rider without a horse is no longer a rider.
-Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love your comments! (Almost as much as we love horses)